Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Pre-Dinner Torture

Yesterday I made the unfortunate mistake (just like last week) of going to the grocery store right before dinner. Now as we all know this has dire consequences on the bill, because suddenly everything including that tub of ben and jerry's on sale is necessary instead of possibly quite enjoyable. But I digress. I have heard the trauma and plight of other parents taking their children to the grocery store, the kids begging for things and putting things in their cart, opening packages, etc. But I thought I had a while before this started. You know, at least until Harmon could point or recognize what the Lucky Charms box looks like. I was wrong. The worst part is always the end in the produce section. I put in bananas, he hollers for them. I grab a cantaloupe and it's like I'm pinching him. I put in the holy blueberries and it appears to those around me that I have just smacked my child upside the head for all the screaming he has started.

Two lessons learned:
1. I am grateful my child loves (and can apparently recognize) fruit
2. Don't go to the store before anyone's mealtime, even if they are only 9 months old

1 comment:

  1. Rachel is 2 1/2 and I still have a hard time getting her to understand that she can't have the bananas or grapes until we pay for them! I hear ya on this one sister!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the comment moderation, I keep getting spammed. Lame.